Sunday 26 April 2009

I feel the need... The need for speed!

Is it a bad thing that I have the sound track to Top Gun playing? If it is then quoteing the film for a post title is definately even more worrying. No I'm not watching the film, nor do I have the soundtrack CD or even from the PC, it's just on in my head.

I assure you there is reason, and a fairly good one as it happens. While I'd planned to get on with some new Sergeants and Leman Russ bits I've ended up painting Forgeworlds excellent Imperial Navy Thunderbolt Pilot. I've had this model sitting around in the pile since it came out and just had'nt got round to painting it, but with two online painting contest's coming up at the same time I decided to break it out, and boy am I glad I did, it really is a joy to paint, both as something which is a break from the norm for me and as it's simply a beautiful model.

About a days work, based very heavily on Karl Kopinski's excellent artwork from the Aeronautia Imperialis Rulebook, has got me to what you see below, theres a fair way to go yet with plenty tidying and detailing to be done, but I'm pretty pleased so far infact it's one of those occasions where I'd say the photo's dont do it justice, though thats not least as it's not focusing properly for some reason.

The only catch at the moment is he does'nt have a plane... an that just aint right.

Hmmm


7 comments:

sovietspace said...

Yes, the lack of plane is a hideous oversight, you should really doing something about that..!

Its a great job you've done there Col. The blue flight suit is fantastically done, not to mention the face stubble. How you you recommend getting some good stubble? It's something I've been trying to do on some test models, and failing...

Craig said...

dude I absolutely love this model!! Iv just been bidding on one on ebay but Im sad to say Iv gota let it go. I love that Buzz Lightyear/Desperate Dan jaw!!
He looks awesome mate great paint work

Craig @ cadian8th

Kevin said...

Wow, that is a beautiful model. You are definitely doing it justice!

Max said...

Daaayaaaanng son... that's pretty awesome! Hope to get my painting skillz as 1337 as that someday.

And hey- if you use Valks in your 40k games, he's got a ride already!

The Inner Geek said...

Great job on that model. And, I think a Thunderbolt is definitely in order! After reading Dan Abnett's book Double Eagle, I was ready to buy a squadron of those planes.

Dictator said...

Typical Col. beautiful masterpieces...

How is the work on your commissar going? I do not believe we have seen an update on that in a while.

Vincent Fong said...

I'm just gonna parrot everyone here and say that this is a really good work on the model! Great job on it!

I'm imagining posing him with the backgroud of valks for thunderbolts... sweet!